I'm Throwing A Dinner Party! (...Why Did I Think This Was A Sane Idea?)
Well, I like curry. And I like Christmas parties (I think. I don't get invited to many). And I like having my house clean (But I don't always like cleaning it. Hmmm…). And I like my coworkers, and want to get to know their wives, too. So I decided to combine all these things into a fantastical Very Curry Christmas Party. I'm used to a full house for Christmas, but since I'm not getting that this year, I'm hoping that a Christmas gathering or two will fill my desires. I have many schemes, and we'll see which come into fruition…
- Three or four different kinds of curries. I have a serving/warming/tea light thing that I got before Thanksgiving, but I have to watch that one pretty closely to keep it from burning right above the candles. And it's got two compartments, so I need somewhere to serve the one or two other kinds of curry. I think I'm going to forgo style in favor of function for the rice—my rice cooker has a "Keep Warm" function that I think will be very helpful.
- A few different kinds of Christmas treats. Cookies, maybe some fudge, maybe some cake balls, maybe some cuppycakes.
- Somewhat coherent decoration. I've got some paper plates from Target that I'm pulling elements from (which were in last week's ad, but apparently don't exist anywhere on the internetz…)
- The traditional Christmas beverages from both my and Husband's families (Fantastical Cider and Candy Cane Punch, recipes to be posted later).
- White Elephant gift exchange. I think this would be really fun, but only if more than 2 people bring gifts…
My goal is to spread preparations out over the week to avoid a Panic! At The Saturday Afternoon. Lots of cleaning happened last night, with more to come the next two days. Tonight I'm going to cut up onions and peppers and put them in plastic bags in the fridge, to facilitate the actual making of curry on Saturday. Tomorrow I think I'm going to bake a few Christmas treats and package them up as best as I can to stay relatively fresh for Saturday. Wednesday will be buying coconut milk, beverage ingredients, and taking care of the meats…steak and chicken (and maybe some shrimp) and chopping them up. Thursday, more treats. Maybe a diet-friendly treat or two… Friday will be cleaning/tidying, and some minor setting up. Saturday… Well, I've got until 6pm on Saturday to get everything done. Wish me luck!