This year was the first year Husband and I stayed home for Christmas. It was just bad timing for vacation-time and buy-plane-tickets-time, and Husband's family was just out here earlier this month for SIL A's wedding. We decided to have somewhat mixed-tradition Christmas…
Husband's side of the family:
- Candy Cane Punch—and tons of it!
- Little wieners (cocktail wieners in a sauce of grape jelly and ketchup—don't knock it till you try it!)
- Homemade cheeseball. Yummm…
- Read Luke 2 (until the circumcision bit) Christmas Eve
- Opening presents (from his family and a couple from each other) on Christmas Eve (It's a Norwegian thing, I guess)
- Turkey dinner on Christmas
My side of the family:
- Caroling with my family (over skype—gotta love technology!)
- Chinese for dinner Christmas Eve
- Presents from my family Christmas morning
Nathan had sooo much fun with his new toys… He got a great big dump truck from his Nana and Grandpa, and a rocker/pusher/tricycle thing from my Uncle M and Aunt M. Husband got me a kitchen torch so he|I can make creme brule. (Hey, hey, did you catch my geeky terminology?) and I got him a bacon-scented candle. Except it doesn't really smell like bacon; it smells really smokey and I'm not entirely sure I like it.
We didn't get to spend time with out-of-town family, but I got a total of 5 days off work (between holiday and vacation) and Husband got 2.5 days off work. At first we really didn't know what to do with our time, but Christmas Eve we alternated between playing Risk on the XBOX and Sequence on the floor of the living room—when Monkey was napping! The front room is essentially baby-proofed and Monkey liked having a lot of room to roam, though he did hear "NO!" a lot when he was going for our phones or remotes or whatnot. We've been watching Psych and Castle, too, and I think we're going to start Enterprise when we're caught up with Castle…
Husband goes back to work tomorrow, so it'll be just Monkey and me at home. We're going to try to hit the Toys R Us return line right at opening (10 am) and return the robot Husband broke Christmas afternoon… and then just chill around the house all day. Maybe I will even get something done around the house! I'll also have to track down some pictures of a happy Monkey to post.
Diet-wise… Christmas doesn't "count" so I'm calling a less than 3 pound gain a win. I weigh in tomorrow, so I'm not sure where I'm standing with that.