A Random List of Things that Scare Monkey
Monkey has a few things that just frighten the crud out of his little toddler mind. It would be hilarious if it he didn't make such tragically sad faces… (Oh, wait, the tragically sad faces are pretty funny, too!)
- Kitchen appliances… Specifically our blender and our Kitchenaid, and other things that make noises like that. Even if he's in the next room, or downstairs in his bedroom with the door shut he just hates the whirring sound!
- Along the same lines, the vacuum cleaner (which is weird, because I hear so many moms talking about how the sound of the vacuum calms their kids… I guess I didn't vacuum enough [read: at all] when Monkey was in utero). The funniest part is that he's absolutely fascinated with the vacuum when it's just sitting there on the floor—he'll go up to it, touch it, ask to go back to it, etc. But as soon as it turns on… Bring out the drama-face!
- The nose sucker. Though, to be honest, I think I'd be terrified of that thing coming to my face, too…
- Husband's robot. Husband got one of these for Christmas from my parents, and while it's a ton of fun for us to play with, Monkey has other ideas. This is another one of those things that is sometimes not scary, though—if Monkey is sitting on our lap and controlling the thing himself, it's not too scary. In fact, he wants to run off with the controller and play with it by himself! (Haha… I don't think so, kid!)
- Popping balloons… balloons are one of his favorite toys, and I would be pretty scared if I saw someone destroying my favorite toys (and the loud accompanying noise) right in front of me!
- The Roomba. We were actually hoping that he would be amused by the Roomba, but as soon as the thing is turned on, he starts whimpering… And if he can see the thing, it's back to the drama-face.
Hum. This list didn't end up as diverse as I thought… Ah well! It just means my toddler is really only scared of whirring appliances and things that seem to move on their own!