From Baby To Toddler
It's been a while since I could deny that Monkey is a toddler… But I've noticed so many changes in him in just the last few weeks! He's growing up so fast, and sometimes it makes me cry…
- Getting sooo close to running. He has this fast-walk that he does, and my normal walk can no longer catch up with him! Oh dear.
- Expressing very clear preferences as to what he wants (and throwing the occasional tantrum when he doesn't get it). Lately he has been asking to go to bed when he's tired (So stinkin adorable! One day, we got home a bit late, and Monkey was tired. I put him down so I could take off my shoes, and had to run across the house after doing so because he had gone into the kitchen. By the time I got there, he was standing at the top of the stairs, signing "sleep" and saying "nite nite?" We got down the stairs, he looked in his toy box, and walked over to his crib and said "Up? Nite nite?" I melted.) (Whew, that was a long paren.) and he's been asking for specific foods and toys.
- Loving on us. He was a very snuggly infant (and by that, I mean he only napped on laps) a very NOT snuggly baby, and now he's turned into a drive-by snuggly toddler. This past Sunday, I wasn't feeling well, and I spent the whole day on the couch. I can't tell you how many times Monkey came over to me and laid his head on my chest or stomach just to give me a little love. He seemed to know I was sad and needed the loves. If he sees Husband and I kiss, he wants a kiss… If I give him a kiss, he wants to give his Daddy one too.
- Following directions. He seems like such a big boy when he takes off his coat and hands it to me, or picks up his toys and puts them away, or folds his arms and bows his head for a prayer!
- Physical changes. I was really hit this morning when I was changing his diaper and looked at his naked legs… They're toddler legs! I don't know the exact difference, but I think his lower legs are longer and leaner now. He still has a little chub in his thighs, but he's definitely more toddler-proportioned than he was a few months ago. I also noticed that in the last week or so, the 18-month jeans that used to be a bit tight over his thighs and draggy on the floor sag a bit on his diapered bum, and don't trip him as often! He's losing some of that baby-belly and getting a more proportioned waist.
Oh, my little boy is growing up so much… What am I going to DO??