How-to: Fabric-Covered Magnet Board
OK, I know this kind of thing has been around for ages and ages, but I finally got mine all figured out, and thought I'd share! My inspiration came from Sugar Baby Boutique's version, though I made mine bigger, and so switched it around a bit.
Perfect for the hole in the back of my craft desk!
Ok, the hardest part (and by hardest I mean it took me several weeks of research/looking around) was finding the metal! I considered cookie sheets (too small or too expensive) and HVAC ducting (don't have the proper equipment to cut it down), among other things… I kept trying to find the smaller pre-cut metal that Camille was talking about, and I finally found it! Just not in the HVAC section… It was with the threaded rods! I took a picture, so you can find it easily at your Home Depot.
See? Hidden there next to the rods.
Anywho, on to the actual assembly. I collected a stack of paint stirrers from Home Depot.
And then I cut off the curved bits at the end with a saw and miter box.
Apparently I didn't take pictures of painting the sticks, but I sanded the sawed edges and then spray painted the non-printed sides with a matte black.
I discovered that the widths were slightly different at the two ends, and so I alternated as shown below.
I decided to brace the back instead of gluing the boards to each other, or just gluing it to the metal. As you can see, one stick wasn't quite long enough, so I used two full-sized sticks and two of the curvy bits—alternated for better structural integrity. I used regular wood glue for this part, and weighed it down with stacks of textbooks.
Next, I decided to cover the metal with some of the pink/white damask fabric I've been using to spruce up the inside (have I shown you that yet? I need to…) I cut the fabric about two inches bigger than the metal, and placed the metal in the middle.
(Do you see what I did wrong? I glued the fabric on backwards… Whoops! Good thing hot glue can be peeled off.)
I cut out the corner of the fabric, so it would lay more flat when I glued it down, and then folded the fabric over the edge, hot gluing about 6 inches at a time (any less, and the glue would dry before I got to it with the fabric!)
I tried using hot glue to attach the metal to the wood, but it dried WAY too fast, and I ended up having to peel off all the cooled glue! (I blame my hot glue fixation on Kimbo. I've been reading through her archives lately.) That was a pain. So, then I used E6000 and weighed it down with the stacks of textbooks again.
And now I've got a magnet board to store my to-do lists and cute things on! Here's a lovely "pseudo-styled" version of the board in use!
And here's a picture I took on Instagram that proves I can't keep anything tidy…